PDA

View Full Version : Attachment method needed

myxpykalix
01-09-2008, 08:59 PM
I made some door plaques out of cherry for the grandkids for xmas and they have now all fallen off their doors. They are made of 1/2" thick cherry, not very heavy and i used doubled sided tape on painted wooden doors. Any advice on a better method to attach these solidly to a door. I don't want to just have them hanging because it will fall off if they slam doors, chase each other, ect (like all kids do) and wondered if there was a better method for attaching them that you could share? thanks

ed_lang
01-09-2008, 09:39 PM
double stick tape to hold while RTV silicone rubber cures.

Big old screw in the sign and right into the door.

Super heavy duty industrial hook and loop.

The silicone will be the best method.

john_l
01-09-2008, 09:53 PM
I have also at times hung small signs and letters with a combo of silicone and hot-melt glue. Silicone where you want (ribbon or dabs) and leave some areas clear to shoot dabs of hot-melt. Position, hold a few seconds and the HM holds until the silicone cures.

harryball
01-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I would probably put a keyhole slot in the back of the sign and just use a small screw. If the doors are painted it's easy to fill the hole and touch up the paint.

Robert

myxpykalix
01-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I think i have some "liquid nails" that might work. You think just use some of that along with some hot melt glue to hold it temporary would be ok? or the silicone adhesive. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for those tips. It's good to have all these "experts" here to help.

john_l
01-10-2008, 05:42 AM
That would work, I've done that too. Liquid nails dries pretty hard over time though.

The good thing about the silicone is that it is removable later if need be. Depending on the strength of the door materials of course, you'd pry at an edge and work it off. Dried silicone can usually be "rolled" off with your fingertips. If it is removed later... clean the surface real good before repainting cause even the residue will repel paints.

ed_lang
01-10-2008, 07:51 AM
I vote for silicone over liquid nails.

Johns point about drying hard and not flexible is worth looking at.

I had not thought about the hot melt for the temp holding. I'll try that next time. Great tip John.

mikek
01-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Jack, I am surprised that good double stick tape would not work. I have had metal no parking signs on my outside shop doors for years with double stick tape. Some of the 3M foam sandwich double stick is very tough and doesn't give up easily. 3M VHB types are also very good.

bcammack
01-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Silicone RTV is amazing stuff. We bond plywood subdecking to our laminated 4cm countertops with the stuff. Same for the countertops to the cabinets and the backsplash to the walls. We go through cases and cases of it every month.

Years back I had purchased an electronic 3-gauge pack for my Jeep Cherokee. One of those self-contained plastic boxes. After careful deliberation as to a convenient, visible mounting location, I thoroughly cleaned the dash padding atop the instrument binnacle with alcohol and affixed it there with five small dabs of clear silicone RTV. I temporarily held it down while the RTV did it's thing. Stuck it down like crazy. I don't think there is another agent that would've worked as well or better in the same situation.

pete
01-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Brett - what brand/product number of Silicone RTV do you use please. Thanks, Pete

bcammack
01-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Pete - It's nothing exotic. We get ours from Aim Supply. It's their "house brand" AIM 100 Clear Silicone RTV. We go through so much of it we buy on price and they give us a great deal because of our volume with them.

knight_toolworks
01-10-2008, 11:51 AM
a better glue is e6000 it is a silicone adhesive that you can get in tube form for guns. so far I have not found anything better for gluing oddball things together. the bond has been stronger then the materials. Plus you can get it in thick or thin and it keeps for months after opening. plus it is only about 7.00 for a tube.

beacon14
01-10-2008, 01:22 PM
"I thoroughly cleaned the dash padding atop the instrument binnacle with alcohol"

Proper cleaning of the surfaces is the key to good results with double sided tape and many adhesives such as silicone and liquid nails. There was probably residue of cleaning materials or paint chalk on the door, not enough to be noticeable but over time it weakens the adhesive bond.

If you clean the door thoroughly where the plaque goes, use new tape, and get some pressure on it while it cures or at least for a few minutes it might just last for years.

Personally I'd get out the brad nailer. Inconspicuous and the holes in the door are easier to fix later than screw holes.

myxpykalix
01-10-2008, 03:22 PM
I will go with the silicone adhesive using the hot melt glue to temporarily hold it and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the advice.

pappy
01-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Jack

There is a product at Lowes called Grab It and it is made by Locktite. It is similar to a white caulking/silicone. Put a continous bead around the outside edge and it forms like a suction cup to hold while it cures. After 15 - 20 seconds you can let go and the next day you cant pry it loose. The Lowes here had a sign they put up on the west outside wall in this Arizona summer sun with liquid nail and in a couple of months it fell down. They replaced it with Grab It and it never would come down.

Doug Berk

myxpykalix
01-12-2008, 01:16 AM
thanks i will go check that out and let you know how it works!