PDA

View Full Version : Painting mdf a lighter color?

myxpykalix
09-21-2008, 07:23 AM
For this other litho i used Danny Rays' recipe for making it look darker

But i would like to make the next one using mdf a lighter tone similar to this

(this is not my work, but used for illustration)
Does anyone have tips on how to paint mdf a way to achieve this tone and look? Keep in mind i don't paint much so be as specific as you can with names, brands, techniques ect...Thanks!

jhicks
09-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Jack, first things first. Once you machine MDF, you will have a porous material that will not only absorb significant finishing material but tend to raise the "fuzz" on the surfaces machined. So you have to deal with that. Best way I know of is to spray with any primer or color coat, cure, then sand down to clean/smooth the surface. The more detail, the more sanding.
On the other hand the Eagle in Maple machines quite well and once produced is almost ready for finishing stains or whatever after a light finish sanding.
So if the reason you want to use MDF is cost, don't kid yourself by only pricing the material, consider the real tedious work of spray, sand, spray vs machine, buff, and finish.
You'll not likely get MDF to look like Maple but Faux finishes are out there to try. Seems to me the difference in material is offset by the end result, time, and overall quality of the real thing using a natural species. Maybe try Poplar and stain to create the final finish as its nice to machine, and can be finished to look like just about any hardwood color

myxpykalix
09-21-2008, 01:31 PM
This project was going to be 14"x16" total size and I was wanting to use something flat ready to go but you may be correct in that the time i don't spend cutting, gluing wood together I will spend sanding the mdf.
Time to go looking in the drying racks to see what flat stock i have back there....

dray
09-22-2008, 12:53 PM
1. seal it with lacquer, then sand it with 220
2. seal it with lacquer, then sand it with 220
3. Paint it with a dull yellow sunflower color
4. seal it with lacquer, then sand it with 220
5. seal it with lacquer, then sand it with 220
6. Brush on a cherry colored stain moving brush in 1 direction
7. Dry brush with towel and re-brush stain for desired effect( dry and re brush as many times as it takes for your effect).
8. Let stain completely dry
9. lacquer
10. lacquer

myxpykalix
09-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Whew, i got tired just reading that!!!

Thanks Danny although my interpretion of your recipe above didn't turn out as well as yours I still liked it and for a first time it wasn't bad so i will try this out and if it looks ok post a picture. Thanks

dray
09-22-2008, 02:06 PM
The only thing wrong is your staining part.

You didnt seal it enough before staining, or it dried to quickly and the brush strokes are kind of random.

If stain dries it can be woken up with thinner on a paint brush.

I think mainly it wasn't sealed all the way so stain soaked into the mdf.