PDA

View Full Version : Sign Mask question

bcondon
01-29-2009, 09:14 AM
I have been using AlphaGraphics sign mask
and found that when vcarving letters in it, it may cut cleanly, or it may tear and roll away. The vacuum attachment can also catch it and put it away.

This causes issues when you want to spray the interior of the letters, I then need to put additional sign mask on and then hand cut with an Xacto knife... all taking time.

--
I wipe down everything before adhering the sign mask but do find that there is chips pushed up under but the cutter.

I also store my sign mask in the shop which is unheated at night... This may be affecting the adhesive.

--
COuld you comment on a couple of thoughts... or tell me what you do differently.

1. I could store the mask in the house.
2. I usually put the mask on and then use immediately. I could put the mask on and let the wood + mask come to room temperature in the house.
3. I purchased some contact paper because it is MUCH cheaper but concerned that the glue is much more aggresive. My surfaces are oil base paint (Rustoleum or Benjamin Moore), Oil base Poly, -or- Benjamin Moore exterior Low Luster latex paint. Is contact paper too agressive.. can I baby powder it to make it less agressive?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in Advance

billp
01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Bob,
One tip usually offered by the manufacturers of sign masks is to apply it with a squeegee/roller the day BEFORE you plan to cut it, and let it sit on the surface overnight...( Of course this also presumes that you have already let your top coat sit for a day before doing this as well...).
While the idea makes sense most of us either don't have the added time or patience when doing signage, and we tend to roll it on, wait an hour or so, and then start to cut.
When the mask does tear away from certain spots I'd usually just go back and then use either a good masking tape, or scotch type tape, and create new "edges"before doing my paint work...

bryson
01-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Bob, I have the same problem this time of year. I have found that you also need to have your sign warmed up also. I converted an old freezer into a sign heater by putting in a 100w light bulb. This has worked great for me in drying paint and keeping the sign warm for the mask.
Bryson

bcondon
01-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks Bryson...

My next "needed" "tool"
8-)

bcondon
02-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Bill,

The Squeegee was the trick! I also am using both Sign Mask and contact paper with the same results. Thanks for the instruction... I did not get any directions with the sign mask.
---
What does NOT work is using clear packing tape as a sign mask. The tape stays on GREAT through the cutting but the adhesive is affected by the oil based paint so when you take tape off, the adhesive stays behind.

Using goof off or citrus cleaner with does not remove the adhesive completely -or- it affects the original background paint.
---

In boat building/repair we know not to use the blue 3M tape with Cetol when coating the rails because the Cetol affects the adhesive, the cetol will bleed onto the fiberglass and the adhesive will not release... Plus blue tape should not be left on for more than a day in general.