PDA

View Full Version : File sizes

gerard
02-09-2008, 05:06 AM
since my workshop will be in excess of 300 feet from my design computer in my office, I will be transfering files on some sort of portable memory, at least until I can find wireless equipment, that will function for my needs, my question is this, since there are too many variables involved to suggest an average file size, what I would like to know is what is the file sizes for the various projects you make, and how do you get them from your design computer to your shopbot?

rgustav
02-09-2008, 05:36 AM
If you need to do a physical transfer, you'll have no problems getting a boatload of them to fit on a $10 1GB USB flash drive.

I use wifi to share files between the shop computer and the design computer.

butch
02-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Gerard
I have my designing computer in my office and my shop is about 100 feet away. I use a couple of 1&2 gig USB flash drives to move my programs. Most of my programs are not that complex and vary from couple K to 1.7M. Thus I can store several programs on each stick.
Butch

richards
02-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Gerald,
Be careful about using wireless networks with your Shopbot computer. I fought a intermittent problem for months when I first installed a spindle. In the excitement of installing the spindle, I had totally forgotten that on that same day, I had installed a wireless card in the computer. Everyone little while, the Shopbot would decide to make a short move on its own - and usually destroy another sheet of material.

The problem turned out to be the wireless card. Randomly, it would drop its connection and my XP computer would stop processing the SB3 commands long enough to re-connect.

That $50 wireless card cost thousands of dollars in ruined parts.

paco
02-09-2008, 09:54 AM
I prefer the USB thumb key drive. Choice #2 would be LAN.

gerard
02-09-2008, 12:14 PM
thanks everyone for sharing, and thanks to Mike for the advice on the wireless, in setting up everything on my property, I elected to have my garage/workshop about 200 feet from the house, never even considering the possibility of computer access, so now I find myself in an awkward situation, eventually, I will run another duct to the garage for internet, cable, and water, but until then, I have to improvise, looks like Ill be checking out tiger online today