PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot Wrapper Q's?

myxpykalix
02-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Just a little bit confused (what's new) but i had a question.
Look at the example picture of a file. Lets say this is a flat file made and it is 12" long in X and 6" wide in the Y. With the 0,0 in the center of the material.
My indexer is set in the X axis

So if i set the file up like this:

So if i want to zero my tool to the surface of the material i leave the box unchecked but where i'm confused is do I set my 0,0 point at the middle of the blank (6" down from head)just like it is set on the flat file?

rnels
02-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Jack,

Don't know if this will help but..

If it is like my converter I only allow the model to be positioned with the lower left corner on 0,0 like my shopbot is set up not in the middle like your example. My converter does not work with negative values. Maybe there's is smarter. My converter zeroes on the material at the headstock end in the middle of the blank.

myxpykalix
03-01-2009, 07:42 PM
sometimes posts get lost, so i'm bumping it hoping Bill will see this (hint, hint)...lol

rnels
03-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Guess you didn't see my reply but if that is the way they want you to put the model then you would have to set your 0,0 in the middle of the blank like you suggested due to the fact you have negative movement in the Y. The ShopBot will move negative if you tell it too.

bill.young
03-02-2009, 11:09 AM
That's not one of mine but I'm sure that if your toolpath is XY zeroed in the middle of the model then you'll need to zero the X axis in the middle of where you want the file to cut.

Bill

myxpykalix
03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi Randy,
yes i saw your post and thank you for responding. Most, if not all my files i set the 0,0 for the middle of the material as i illustrated above.

What I think i was trying to figure out was, if you have a file that was created with the 0,0 in the middle of the file, would you start your 0,0 in the middle of the blank on the indexer?

If not then would i have to reload my file and change my origin point to the lower left then resave then run it thru the wrapper pgm, or does it even matter?
The last time i tried converting a file (not your pgm or this one) i started in the middle and it kept going till it almost hit the chuck, as if it was starting from the tailstock end going to headstock. So I wanted to verify before i have a problem. Thanks again for your help.

myxpykalix
03-02-2009, 11:30 AM
was typing my response while bill posted the answer. It looks like you have the option to use the "center" of the stock as 0,0 or surface. I assume it knows the difference depending on whether the box is checked or not. I am going to try setting up a file and cutting it. Thanks

rnels
03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Don't think it will know the difference by the check box that sounds like it is just for where to zero the Z.

Make sure and check the .sbp code coming out of the converter. You should be able to see if the X values look reasonable to what you are trying to accomplish. My guess would be if you 0,0 in the middle of the model you should see -X values (up to -6) in your .sbp code if it is converting properly (mine would give you garbage probably as it only deals with positive numbers and you would have to reposition your model as you stated above and resave it). If you zero at the headstock end you will hit the headstock with negative X values. Therefore, like you stated above, you would have to 0,0 your indexer at a point 6 inches (or a little more to be safe) down the blank from the headstock in the middle of the blank.

myxpykalix
03-02-2009, 06:21 PM
what i will probably do to begin with, is to make a file, convert it, then position the router above the work with no bit in it and air cut it to see what happens.