PDA

View Full Version : Cutaway bat house

harryball
08-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Some of you may have seen this at the IWF. It is a cutaway of our 2 chamber commercial bat house. First the front, then the internal baffle has a nice S cut to show through. Since I get asked often what the inside of our bat house looks like...

Everything is cut on the shopbot except the bevels which are cut on a panel sled at the table saw.

For the cutaway I used completed panels and a 1/8" bit to make the cuts. I simply copied my panels from my working .crv file and centered the baffle behind the front and down about where it would be when installed. I then created the open vector, copied it and slid it down for the baffle so it would be the same shape. I cleaned up, clipped the S curves so they were about 1/4" long. I then set the baffle with its curve to 0,0 along with the front and created the toolpath. That way I loaded both panels with the corner on 0,0 and ran the cut. Worked like a charm.

My wife does all the painting. The inside is coated with a dark waterbase stain to improve weathering and darken the inside. She decided to leave the outside painted with the door unfinished for contrast. The web address was painted white before the brown was applied with a foam roller. She had to touch up the white here and there but it came out pretty clean.

/RB