PDA

View Full Version : Crib

woodworx
11-26-2008, 01:37 AM
This was a joint venture with a friend of mine. He did most of the assembly and rough cutting, I did the mortises, arches, full 3D hearts, and few small details with the machine. The crib was done for a local designer who is looking to create a furniture line. Expected retail price is $2500.00

david_white
11-26-2008, 02:09 AM
I can't even imagine what the product liability is on that.

sailfl
11-26-2008, 04:05 AM
Justine,

I don't mean to throw cold water on your work but does the designer know you made his design available to others?

myxpykalix
11-26-2008, 08:12 AM
That's no different than seeing it in a catalog so i don't think he's making the design available. Now if he posted a dxf thats different. Thats a nice design and if the designer has the clientele go for it. Good job.

lto
11-26-2008, 09:02 AM
We would be glad to talk to you about supplying the curved pieces used at the top. We specialize in solid wood steam bent components. The bed spindles look like they might be dowels, which we also manufacture. Email in profile, i'll send telephone, etc then.

wberminio
11-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Justin
Very nice design.One thought though, cribs can be a bit problematic.
You have to verify heights,spacing of slats and/ or rails,any slide mechanisms used,et...
Be sure to check with US Consumer product safety commission(CPSC)for their guidlines before you go into any production.
The liability can be huge!

Erminio

woodworx
11-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I just cut the stuff. All liability is off my shoulders. Successful businesses are a product of two things....Proper planning and risk mitigation. We all love those jobs that we complete and never see again. The crib is one of them. Thanks for your insight everyone...JR

harryball
11-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Umm... if you cut it, you share some of the liability whether you want to or not. When something goes horribly wrong everybody gets sued. Not trying to scare you but you should carry some basic liabilty insurance of some type if you plan cutting anything that gets used by children. While I understand only being the cutter will place you way down in the queue of those getting sued... you will have to show up in court none the less.

/RB

tmerrill
11-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Another consideration is the cost of defending yourself. If named in a lawsuit you most likely will need legal counsel. In the end you may very well come out without any liability, but what was the cost to get that. You may find yourself innocent and broke!

In my opinion, it is better and cheaper to ask the questions before the situation arises.

wberminio
11-26-2008, 03:34 PM
When I first got liability insurance years ago,My broker asked me if I fabricate ladders or cribs.Both are high on the "liability list"

Erminio

stevem
11-26-2008, 05:29 PM
The only people who get sued are the ones who can afford to pay multi million dollar settlements, or pay off the lawyers not to continue. Companies that have liability insurance are a prime target for law suits.

An ambulance chaser is not going to take on a case on contingency if he's not going to get his fee.

woodworx
11-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Ha, I feel all warm and fuzzy knowing you all care so much!

tkovacs
11-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Justin - the crib is beautiful. Nice design too. I've never seen anything like it, but I have not needed to look for crib in some decades :-)

Looks like a promo photo and it too is well done. Do you have any closeups of the work you did on the bot?

Whew - I can't believe all the tangential comments. I'm sure folks are trying to be helpful, but the net effect has to be discouraging when you were simply trying to display your work.

Thanks for posting and I hope you share more of your work in the future.

Terry

wberminio
11-27-2008, 09:26 AM
I don't think anyone wants to be discouraging.I agree with you,Terry,it is a beautiful design and exceptional work.Especially in these times,I would gladly accept a job that I could just cut and send the parts out the door.My concern is just a word of caution for all of us in this litigious world in which we live,we could easily lose all we work so hard for.It's just the reality of life.With that said, Please Justin,share more of your work in the future!
"Bot On"

Erminio

woodworx
12-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Yes, check out Dec. editions of CWB, Modern Woodworking, Cabinet Builder, Sign Media, and Sign Illustrator for pics of recent work. There are some pics of the hearts being machined in the sign magazines. I had to cut them, then flip them over and cut them again for the full 360 degree machining. I am currently using the machine to create some through dovetails on 5/4 cherry for some entertainment centers , they are turning out perfect.

Is there a way to glue my dovetails up, while adding some moisture to have the joints swell for an even tighter/stronger joint? They have a .03 allowance so they actually fit together, but I would love them to be really tight. JR

drodda
12-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Justin good looking project, glad you shared it with us.

Don't worry about the liability issues as most on here are a bunch of grumpy old men. If you worry that much about getting sued you better lock yourself in a closet and never ever cut anything let alone a crib. These are the same old guys who will warn you about spray room exposions and dust collector static fires even though they have never seen these except to read about the possibilities of them.

I feel the lawyers should be pictured next to Bin Lauden as they are committing domestic terrorism. Good thing Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, and Tesla were not afraid of getting sued. Or we wouldn't have the gadgets we have today to make scarry threads about how your oging to die a lonely old man because you cut a heart on your bot.

You guys really need to get out more. There is a great and wonderful world out here. Maybe a little fresh air would lighten your chicken little thoughts a little?

I climb from my soap box now, Good for you Justin the crib looks awesome.

-D

beacon14
12-06-2008, 09:55 PM
I am much happier being called a "grumpy old man" than a "big blue meanie"...

gpari
12-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Mr. Rodda, I like your post. I'm not sure what more to add.

Justin, nice work. I recently cut a thermoform mold for a company that does work for the military. This particular part was for some sort of Black Hawk Helicopter, an acrylic bubble window/lense or something. I didn't really ask. I hope it doesn't crash on a training mission, I might need a good lawyer (maybe some of you guys could recommend one
)

Gabe