PDA

View Full Version : Design HELP needed!! for fishing pole holder

myxpykalix
12-23-2007, 01:28 AM
I bought my grandson a fishing pole for xmas and thought a fishing pole holder would be someting i could make for him also.
I never had one when i was a kid, i just put my pole in the corner so i don't know what the average deminsion between the "hooks" of the holder would be, anyone have that measurement?

Gary Campbell
12-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Jack...
We have done dozens.. of many different styles. Vertical, floor standing, hozontal, wall mounted, and custom units electrically operated for storage on sportfish yachts. Post or send me a sketch and I will give you some basic parameters.
Gary

Gary Campbell
12-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Jack..
Heres a pic of a floor standing holder that is an easy bot project.
Gary

myxpykalix
12-23-2007, 04:39 PM
I was thinking of something horizontal that i can hang on the wall for him. Just something simple with a couple hooks. What i was trying to figure out was what was the average distance between the "hooks"? Here is my "ROUGH" sketch.

thanks for the help...

Gary Campbell
12-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Jack..
The ones like that we build are 32" c/c on the hooks. Unless you have some very short 2 piece rods that works for most we have seen.
Gary

myxpykalix
12-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks Gary that was just the info i was looking for.

butch
12-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Jack
First, I will admit, I use last years dear or elk antlers. That gives me the spacing for my rods, and the fly rods hang, but bow. This requires using them on a regular basis to keep them from bowing on you.
On regular spin casting rods, I measure to the second ferlo or about 2/3 down the rod and hang them that way. All fishing rods, do not like to be hung horizonally, but if you use them on a regular basis, then doesn't really matter. I have rod hung from nails that are still just fine, and have had them that way for 4-5 years.
If you look at the rod, look where it goes thin and measure from there. If a 3 point mule dear rack can hold a rod for 4 years with out bowing, then you know it don't take much. Just use them on regular basis.
I know this isn't what you wanted so , follow Gary's suggestion.
Butch

gene
12-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Go to a sporting goods shop and look at their designs
find a good design and personalize it . post photos to let us know how it turns out

myxpykalix
12-24-2007, 01:13 AM
Butch..any little nuggets of wisdom you pass on is welcome!

Gene...DOH! A simple answer that I just hadn't even thought of. I bought one of James designs of a bass and i'm going to use that on it.