PDA

View Full Version : A easy way to square the router/spindle to your top.

knight_toolworks
07-12-2007, 12:10 PM
This is a really simple way to square the spindle/router to the top in both directions. Simply bend a piece of ¼” rod with a 90 on each end facing opposites. Make sure your top is flat in the large enough area chuck the rod in and lower the spindle till the tip fo the rod just touches. Then rotate it by hand find the low or high spots. Loosen the 4 bolts on the sides of the carriage and fix the position. Be sure to keep checking as you tighten and there you go the job is done with little effort. The longer you make this rod the more accurate you will be doing the job.

harryball
07-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I use my spindle wrench with a bolt in one end and the Zzero plate to touch the table top. Very effective method once you get the hang of it. Same principle.

Robert

tuck
07-12-2007, 01:00 PM
I use a "surface level". It's round and about the size of a half dollar. I set it on top of the router and adjust until the bubble is where it should be. Works good enough. ;-)

harryball
07-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Yes Mark, but us techno geek guys MUST have tollerances to 0.001" or better. We just KNOW it cuts better, faster and cooler the more accurate we align and square... and we sleep better. :-)

Seriously though, for those doing very tight small projects this method is a good inexpensive way to bring in more accuracy. For the vast majority, matching table level with spindle level using a torpedo level is probably good enough.

Robert

dray
07-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Steve, perfect!!!!!!!
Thats the kind of simple solutions I look for.

Thanks.

D.Ray

dray
07-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Steve, perfect!!!!!!!
Thats the kind of simple solutions I look for.

Thanks.

D.Ray