PDA

View Full Version : Buy the Software first?

chrisbot
04-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Did anyone by chance purchase the software before the machine? I was thinking about doing it before I purchased the machine just so I could get used to it.

paco
04-30-2007, 03:12 PM
SB3 (ShopBot controller) can be download for evaluation or update to user. (http://www.shopbottools.com/controlsoftware.htm) No need to purchase...

harryball
04-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Christopher,

Paco is right, no need to purchase. Not only can you get the shopbot control software and run it free (which I did) you can also download the trial versions of VcarvePro, PhotoVcarve and Cut3D from Vectric.com and try them out as well. Without spending a dime you can have a virtual shopbot experience!

Robert

paco
04-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Every one here will agree that's it is 100% good time investment to train yourself BEFORE you get the tool. Not mentioning that it's the best way to evaluate a software.

In other words; VERY GOOD INITIATIVE.

chrisbot
04-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Ok, so is the shopbot project wizard software good enough to get started or does something like Art insignia pro make things a little bit easier?

Chris
Ps. Thank you both for responding to my question.

fleinbach
04-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Artcam Insignia will make things easier. Shopbot parts Wizard is made by delam and is a stripped down version of Insignia. Insignia has quite a bit more flexability for quite a bit more money. Hence Insignia will make things a little easier.

dray
04-30-2007, 04:37 PM
"Parts wizard" is the same as Artcam Insignia just lacking some stuff. I would download a demo of insignia if they have one

bill_l
04-30-2007, 05:48 PM
I would look at VCarve Pro.. You can download a demo version from Vectric.com. It has a lot more capabilities than Part Wizard and cost a lot less than Insignia.

harryball
04-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Vcarve Pro 4.0 is due to release next month. For those that have seen it at the recent Vectric group meeting they'll tell you it has been greatly improved over 3.1 with many new features making it much more CAD/CAM capable.

Robert

chrisbot
04-30-2007, 06:47 PM
So it sounds like the Vcarve Pro is a popular program. The only reason why I am asking about software is because the way I figure it the better a person is with the software the better your shopbot results will be. I plan on starting my own business with the bot and want to be able to make at least a little money shortly after purchasing the machine.

Chris

djmcnutt
04-30-2007, 07:16 PM
With VCarve Pro you could at least have files ready to cut when you get your machine. It is a great tool for sign making. It is a very easy program to use and learn. Once they release Version 4 it will be even better. The release is due in May sometime.

djmcnutt
04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Here is a vink to VCarve Pro web site, they have other very useful software.
http://www.vectric.com/index.htm

chrisbot
04-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks David

Chris

waynelocke
04-30-2007, 08:16 PM
You might talk to Shopbot. I'm sure that they would send you Parts Wizard when you order the machine and pay the deposit. If you aren't ready to purchase, you might see if you could purchase Parts Wizard now and deduct the purchase price from the machine when you order it.

Having said that, I have been using VCarve Pro for a few months and it is a terrific program.

Wayne

andre
04-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Christopher,
What is it hat you plan to make with your CNC
I would recomend start with the basics and build your software collection as needed. There are so many options and my advise is to start with learning the basics and go from there. Part wizard is a great program that will let you design any geometric shapes and all the toolpathing you will need to start. I am planning on getting vcarve pro for its enhancements and who knows. I think an outlay of 3 to 7000.00 is a bit steep to get started and unnecessary.

paco
04-30-2007, 08:35 PM
There's even a Part Wizard demo IF you really want it... here's the page about it (http://www.shopbottools.com/software.htm) and here's the link to download (http://www.shopbottools.com/pickup/PW2demo.zip).

I'd go with Vectric V Carve PRO too!

chrisbot
04-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your response. I think that I am going to do what Andre recommends and just start with the basics.

Chris