PDA

View Full Version : One Fein or Two

wegner81
12-29-2007, 05:30 PM
I ordered my PR 60-60-6 this week and am trying to line up some electrical stuff while I am waiting for my machine. My ? is will I need 1 or 2 Fein vacs to hold down materials. I will cut a lot of 5x5x5/8 baltic birch. need advice

evan
12-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Two. Do a search on Vacuum or Fein on this forum and you'll get plenty of info. Happy New Year!

wegner81
12-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks Evan I have been on the site for awhile but really have not seen anyone else how has the 5'x5' machine that I am getting. I will dig into the site some more. Thanks again for the help. Kevin

ed_lang
12-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Kevin,
I ran one Fein for a while and then added a second one. You can follow some of my progress by looking here- http://www.shopbottools.com/getting_started.htm

I have used the Fein vacs for a while now and am very happy with them. I will be trying another version in the weeks to come as I am still on the quest for more vacuum, more CFM, low noise and low cost. Quite a tall order.

donchapman
12-30-2007, 10:51 AM
I've used just one Fein (the smallest which is no longer sold) for over a year to hold just about everything I've routed and it has worked great.

I typically leave .02" of skin on the bottom of the material to retain suction and then easily remove that skin with a razor knife, laminate trimmer, or just break it off with my fingers and then clean up with a little sanding.

Removing the skin on a project usually takes no more than a few seconds or minutes.

I have a total of about $300 invested in my minimalist vacuum hold down system and for my needs (routing HDU, MDF, plywood, solid woods,etc. of all sizes) I can't see any good reason for anything any more complicated or expensive.

richards
12-30-2007, 02:23 PM
I have two Fein vacuums. Normally I just one vacuum. Even when I run both vacuums, I still leave a skin on most cuts. Two Fein vacuums help when I'm cutting cupped plywood.

wegner81
12-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks for all the imput. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row for when my bot arrives. I am trying to get my electrical figured out right now. realized when I started figuring all my amp draw, shopbot-2 fein vacs-dustcollector that I am going to have to upgrade my sevice. I am also reorganizing my shop that has limited space. Thank again fellas for the advice!!!!

harryball
12-31-2007, 12:38 PM
I run two Feins. For my electrical, I have 200Amp service for my shop. I installed a 100Amp subpanel that runs the bot and the feins etc... My 3HP dust collector is off the main panel. I've not had any issues but I do try not to start everything all at once... not much of an issue with a one man shop. I suspect if I were to turn on the Dust collection, the bot, both feins, Bandsaw, Tablesaw etc... all at once I could have an issue... but I'm not that fast. I have, however, had them all running at the same time when my son and daughter are working with me. Most of my equipment has magnetic switches too so if the power were to fail everything would not try to come on at once.

Robert

beacon14
12-31-2007, 05:14 PM
My entire shop is on a 100 amp subpanel. I've had the shopbot, two feins, 2HP dust, 7HP compressor, 30 amp edgebander, all the lights (two 20amp circuits) and the main AC unit all on together and never a problem. Before I went this way an electrician told me I'd need to upgrade the entire house to 400 amp service at a cost of over $8,000. I'm glad I didn't listen to him.

ed_lang
01-01-2008, 09:09 AM
I too am running my shop on a 100Amp subpanel. I run the PRTalpha96, 4HP HSD spindle, 2 Feins, 5HP cyclone dust collector, 50W laser engraver, two computers, lights, Air compressor kicks in now and then and one of the following, 5HP table saw, chop saw, 20" 5HP planer from time to time with all other items running.

I am not suggesting anything, just letting you know how things run here.

fleinbach
01-01-2008, 09:48 AM
I also run my entire shop off a 100 amp sub panel off my 200 Amp main house panel. I have never had a problem and have had all the following on all at once. PRTAlpha 61X144, Colombo 3HP spindle, 5 HP Grizzly bag vac, 7.5 HP hold down vacuum, 12,000 btu Air conditioner, all lighting on 2 floors and my table saw. Lighting consists of 8 double tube 4' florecents on the second floor and 4 quad 4' florecents on the first floor.