PDA

View Full Version : Some sign feedback wanted

mccoy178
04-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Hello,
These signs are going to be anywhere from 14' to 16' long and 4' to 5' tall depending upon the model. Any ideas you guys may have would be greatly appreciated!

billp
04-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Ben,
Use a step scarf and two 4'by 8'sheets of material. That should give you a 4'by 15'panel that
will be incredibly strong.....For the 5'model you could always just add on "wings" after the panel is glued up.

cabnet636
04-17-2009, 06:23 AM
we have to be creative in arcitectural work as designers are inept at material optimization, do you have design control and are the materials specified by the company's architects, if so what are they and if not what are your thought's.

there are some excellent ways to build large items without visible seams!

jim

mccoy178
04-17-2009, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback fellas! I do have complete design control. Obviously they have the final say. The owner did originally express just an interest in a rectangular sign, but that was before he had seen any of the mockups. I just know that with the machine some amazing things can happen, I just have to think outside the box.

cabnet636
04-17-2009, 07:43 AM
consider letting the circle be a separate component or to at least have a reveal of some sort. the background board could have verticle grain (less seam visibility) and onlay/inlay the lettering to take the eye away from any seams. just ideas!

jim

cabnet636
04-17-2009, 07:52 AM
in my world most of what i do has to fit in a door or an elevator!, so my thought processes are about components, we once had to get 48 36"x36"x22' long cieling parts into a federal courthouse on the 4rth floor in downtown historic charleston sc on broad st. we had to use long raech lull"s and take out windows (massive windows) to do this.

jim

joe
04-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Ben,

What a nice challenging job.

Here's my take on the project. Since you are fortunate to have a CNC, why not put it to work. So far you are showing us a sign that is a little step above the old hand painted sign. At this point it looks a little old school.

I'd suggest thinking about a raised panel or two. And there's also the option for individual letters to be pocketed. The logo is could be done as a seperate piece and applied.

This could be a portfolio piece for you to put in your examples book.

Joe Crumley
www.normansigco.com (http://www.normansigco.com)