PDA

View Full Version : Vector Art Creator

phardy79
11-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The moment that all Shopbotters were waiting for is finally here. There is a website that will take you raster data (.jpg, .gif, etc...) and convert it to a .eps file without a lot of trouble. No software to buy, just follow the on screen instructions. Please visit http://vectormagic.stanford.edu/ and enjoy.

tradition_wood
11-06-2007, 08:39 PM
That's pretty nifty, thanks for sharing the link.

myxpykalix
11-06-2007, 11:14 PM
I tried it with a simple photograph and the result had a problem with crossing lines intersections, ect. I wonder if there is anything we can do to help eliminate those problems, or if there may be any type of settings on the original image we can control to help eliminate those issues?

myxpykalix
11-07-2007, 05:31 AM
I just noticed the last post i hit 1000 !!

donchapman
11-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Thanks, Paul.
I am especially impressed with the comparisons of the Stanford program with Corel and Adobe.

lhatch
11-07-2007, 04:52 PM
How do you get them into partworks 3d or Partworks. When I download the in EPS or SVG format. I can't find them to open them in either program. Can anyone help me.

myxpykalix
11-07-2007, 10:06 PM
I had the same problem when i try to download, the browser disappears. But when i go back to the site and click on "my uploaded images" your files are there and you can click on the appropriate fileformat you want and download.

The problem i found is that the 2 files i tried it with (one photograph, 1 line drawing) when i tried to load them up to create a cut file I get error messages about open vectors or intersecting vectors so i haven't been able to figure out how to manipulate the original image before sending it ot the site for processing that might help eliminate the error messages.

I have parts wizard which is the predecessor to your program i think. To be able to use the eps file first go in and make your "canvas"
File/new 12x12x.75 (for example)
then go to File/import/vector data and call up your eps file. Please let me know if your file works. I would like to see it because i can't make mine work as stated above.

robert_cheal
11-09-2007, 10:23 AM
I liked the way Vector Magic cleans up a poor black & white image. I did notice when a fuzzy detail was cleaned up that it might be different from what one would manually do. But when ever I have used tracing software I end fixing little things any way.

My problem is that I can not read EPS, SVG, or PNG with my present software. I have not had time to fully check out translator programs or just buy Corel or Illustrator. Any who has more specific experience might be able to provide suggestions for us.

Thanks Robert

gpari
11-09-2007, 10:43 AM
This utility is great. On it's first try it does about as good as CorelTrace, but the ability to modify the parameters mid-go is what makes it so powerful. I'm finding it very helpful for the current project I'm working on.

Jack, I don't think you can get a worthwhile cuttable vector straight away. You will need to do some editing to get what you want. I know it's called VectorMagic, but you don't really believe in "magic", do you?

Now Santa and the Tooth Fairy, they're real!

Gabe

phardy79
11-20-2007, 11:39 PM
The old saying is true! You get what you pay for. I am a teacher and I have seen a new enthusiasm with my students for this utility. Our old process of creating vector images from raster images was very tedious. All of my students are very excited about this FREE process.

I have not had any luck with photos either.