PDA

View Full Version : Mold substrate

myxpykalix
09-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I am designing some parts for a company that makes solar water heaters and they need to make some molds from these parts i'm designing and i want to know what might be the best sustrate to use to make molds from?

ron brown
09-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Jack,

My car is white. What size tires do I need?

With just a little more information, an answer MIGHT be possible.

I've made molds of Kirksite, steel, cast iron, aluminum, brass, mechanical plastics, epoxy, rubber, wax, wood, fiberglass and several other materials. They were used for a large number of different uses and materials.

Ron

coach
09-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I cut HDU for a guy he then makes a rubber mold to make parts from concrete.

wegner81
09-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Jack
I have been making parts for a company that makes fiberglass molds to pull parts off of. I have built there wood plugs for the last 7 years. They have us build them out of 5/8 baltic birch, they do some prep work and spray it with some high build primer. Then a release agent before fiberglass.

myxpykalix
09-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Ron based on the fact that you have a white car i would say you need 195/75R15 tires....I get it.

From what i understand wax will be poured into these to make the opposite part but i have not made molds before and don't know what info to give you so you can tell me what i need to know.
I suppose the end product has more of a bearing on what the mold will be made of correct?

ron brown
09-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Jack,

They need to give YOU information to do anything. The process used will dictate a lot. IF they are doing metal casting there will be shrinking. IF it is to be an "inside hammer form" it will be different than an "outside hammer form".

There are as many or more variables as there are tire sizes.

Ron

myxpykalix
09-01-2009, 08:46 PM
I appreciate that insight. I will find out the various materials used so i can get a better informed answer. thanks

phd1658
09-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I want to try my hand at a cold cast resin pour. My foundry contact is saying he can make a rubber mold from a male pattern, but I'm wondering why I can't just carve a "concave" relief and use it for the mold. My software has provisions for putting in a "draft". Any thoughts/comments on material for the mold, type of resin, source, etc? Thanks!