PDA

View Full Version : Dust proof computer cabinet

kc10flteng
03-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Howdy guys...I just ponied up for a new computer to go with the PRTa96 thats due to arrive at the end of March. I've searched the forum & found a few threads that deal with putting computers in dust proof cabinets of various design but some of the links to the posts appear dead. My shop is terminally dusty - I mean bad dusty...!!!! I could use some fresh ideas or links...Thanks in advance.

gerald_d
03-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Link (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/search.cgi)

srwtlc
03-14-2006, 12:04 AM
From one bad dusty shop to yours.

You have mail.

beacon14
03-15-2006, 01:51 AM
I ended up just leaving the side covers off of the CPU. Now I can blow the insides out whenever I'm cleaning up in the area. It probably stays cooler too, and the dust never builds up to where it could be a problem.

I also keep a backup computer just in case.

wcsg
03-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Here's what I did

http://www.thesignsyndicate.com/miscstuff/putervac.jpg

though once in a while I had to pull my mother board out of the filter

rhfurniture
03-16-2006, 04:35 AM
I just put mine upside down - ie with the components hanging down. Most of the dust gathers on the side (now floor) of the case.
No problems yet - just clean it once a year if it's lucky.

pfulghum
03-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Erik,
Being a "computer guy" for MANY years. I think you got it backwards. It looks like you are sucking air into the computer. I think it would be better to blow clean air into the computer.

My system I actually use a "thin client" with no moving parts. I work at HP and have access to this type of machines.. http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/12454-321959-89307-338927-89307.html

-- pat

carl_vallance
03-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Try dirt bags. I've used them form severial years in our machine shop and have had good look with the computer for my ShopBot at home.
http://dirtbag.biz/

wcsg
03-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Pat,

That was joke pic, I put an attachment with double stick tape :p

kc10flteng
03-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Dang it Eric...I was going for it man.

wcsg
03-17-2006, 02:07 AM
Actually I don't see why it wouldn't work. You have to figure at the point of any dust getting into your computer would be instanly sucked into the dust collector. Beside the dust collector would only be on during shop cutting use. I may try this yet

It might even keep the insides always sparkling

digitalwoodshop
04-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I bet the moving air and plastic would create a whole lot of static electricity that could play havoc with your microprocessor... Can we say ZAP !!

artisan
04-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Try creating a positive pressure cabinet for your components. I made mine by taking one of the birch cabinets from Lowe's and adding a fan and filter to blow air into the cabinet. I put a bottom with wheels on it so it moves easily for cleaning and an oversized top for a work area.

This has been discussed in the forum a few years back and may be in the archives now. I got the idea from a special effects film room at a theme park. The equipment is very sensitive and so they keep the pressure in the room a little higher than outside so dust never enters the room and is repelled instead.

Mine has been working well for several years now. I use a simple changeable A/C filter and a fan in a box attached to the back. I began with a bathroom fan, but replaced a few years back with a quieter more powerful one. The air escapes around the built in drawer and around the big front door. Since the oressure is higher in the cabinet and air is always blowing outward the dust stays out and the only air coming in is through the filter. Total cost...about 100 bucks.

I hated the Dirtbag. It gets covered with dust and makes your computer look like a big lump of something.

With the cabinet you have full access to your clean computer and controller and the drawer is handy for storing files and books....D

dustbunny
09-06-2006, 12:58 AM
There is a device that is a internal filter device to combat dust inside your computer.
The XLx2 is being redeveloped and the new model will have a drawer in the front so that you can change the filter yourself. The price will be reduced drastically in the next few months before Xmas as well.
Xmas is soon on our heels and this is one gift that nobody has already.
In the mean time, check out the old model and the website will tell you all you need to know, It can be a little hard to find things so browse all links and sift through the instructions. Keep visiting later and it will have a new look, better product and best of all, a lower price tag.
www.xlx2.ca (http://www.xlx2.ca)

brian_h
09-06-2006, 12:36 PM
This might be amusing to some...

Since I spend a lot of time in my shop, I try to think about six environmental factors.

1. Noise
2. Dust
3. Heat build-up
4. Air quality
5. Light
6. Asthetics (look)

I've had a smaller CNC that I put in a cabinet to both control dust and control the sound of the PC router. My cyclone dust collector pulls air through it to both collect the dust and cool the router. The computer has a larger cabinet made of scrap wood and acrylic. I've been *pulling* air through the computer cabinet for the last 7 years with a very small window fan and even with a filter I end up with fine dust build-up inside the cabinet. The positive-air solution would be better. I need to make new computer cabinets for the old CNC and the new ShopBot. My goals are to make them much smaller, and use a little style to make the shop look better. I think I'll make separate cabinets for each computer and use a separate fan-in-a-box to pump clean air *into* each cabinet, as well as the wall cabinet I'll make for the spindle controller. I'll put the fan in an area where the air is cleaner, cooler, and the added noise is not an issue. Then I'll run venting to that corner of the shop to hook up the different cabinets. There, I'll use flexible tubing, just like the dust collector.

That should do it.

pete
09-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Brian
So, the fly swatter is a back-up dust control device in the event your primary fails? (Insert funny face here) Pete

brian_h
09-06-2006, 03:04 PM
7. Pest control (notice the dead fly on the MDF).