PDA

View Full Version : The battle of a good dust boot for the PRT alpha.

knight_toolworks
01-07-2010, 09:22 PM
well it is somewhat of a battle to get really good dc on the prt. everything is in the way. My last setup worked well but I had to unclip both sides and pull the dc hose out for each bit change. plus the brushes tended to get mashed when I cut with a short bit.
well I hope this will take care of all my issues. the biggest problem to a new dust boot are removing it to change the bit and getting it to fit in the limited room between the router/spindle and the front bar.
so this just fits between everything. the bracket stays on the machine and the boot is held with 4 rare earth magnets. I am debating on if it needs some pins to keep it from sliding off. but I think just using different boots with different brush lengths will take care of it.
I will make the boots out of plastic but I ran out and did not want to invest any more money till this idea panned out.
I would like a wider boot but it would take some effort to gee that. maybe make an extension that is held on the same way that lowers the boot by 2"
or redoing my whole table move it so I can move the spindle back to the last spot on the z holder. then I would have plenty of room and I could stick with a 4" hose the whole way. right now a 4" hose is a little bit of a tight fit.
but even having some 3.5" hose using 6" for the rest really gives me far more airflow then the OEM version.
the base is 3/4" acrylic and the brushes are 4" long. I will also have 3" and maybe 2"
so now I just pop the boot of change the bit and pop it back on.

knight_toolworks
01-07-2010, 09:24 PM
a few more pictures

geneb
01-08-2010, 09:38 AM
I take it the acrylic base plate is clamped to the base of the spindle somehow?

Very clever though.

g.

harryball
01-08-2010, 12:38 PM
How is it attached to the spindle head? You mention rare earth magnets? I need a very similar solution. I've put my second Z on and taken if off due to the DC issues.

more photos if you got them.

/RB

knight_toolworks
01-08-2010, 01:20 PM
I forgot this picture. as you see it is a simple clamp setup. it seems to hold well but time will tell. there is little room for both s you see. I had to move the dc hole forward (this is a little older version)
I could change the hole to fit the 3.5" hole and i may do that.
the rare earth magnets holes the brushes on.

mark_stief
01-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Steve
Are interested in selling them or where did you find the acrylic that thick or how thick is it?

rb99
01-08-2010, 09:24 PM
You can always cut multiples of thinner plastic and use the liquid plastic glue (I forget the chemical -is it methyl hydrate?) to bond the pieces together.

Another good source for small scraps is a sign company.

RIB

knight_toolworks
01-09-2010, 12:50 AM
I have glued it up but it is a hassle.
I got mine from a customer who made fish tanks. I would make a cut and he would give me the scrap. 3/4" plexi is expensive.

paco
01-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Nice design Steve!

Good sources for strip brushes? I'm not happy with what I've found so far.

knight_toolworks
01-10-2010, 03:13 PM
I have been getting them from mcmaster carr. I want to try these but till I have worked the details out I did not want to spend that much
http://www.mcmaster.com/#pvc-backed-strip-brushes/=5ay1a0
these are the oens I have been using http://www.mcmaster.com/#metal-backed-strip-brushes/=5bfs0p
the first were .014 they are ok for short brushes but too soft for 3" or 4" I bought some .03 and they are too stiff. so I will go for .02 next time.

paco
01-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Have you bent or cut to get it all around the foot?

wayne_walker
01-11-2010, 02:05 AM
I have some strip brushes with holders, I would like to sell.
Please contact me off the forum thru profile contact.

Thanks

Wayne

gc3
02-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Here is one for a vintage pr...and does this thing work great! Usually we ran for cover when surfacing the "board" but not any more...this thing rocks. Ordered it from KentCNC@gmail.com (mailto:KentCNC@gmail.com) $110 with shipping.

Gene Crain
www.plantasymaderas.com (http://www.plantasymaderas.com)

knight_toolworks
02-15-2010, 11:13 PM
here are new pics of my setup. I find different length brushes work best when cutting with different bits. the middle one works fine for most things but if you want to vacuum off the table when using a 1/4" bit cutting 3/4" material it will sweep most of the dust off your table.

rb99
02-16-2010, 03:23 AM
Question: Do the dust boots with the removable front that lets you easily access the router and collet work better than the one piece designs?

Thanks,

RIB

knight_toolworks
02-17-2010, 02:03 AM
my first one the front came off. but with a front hose it was a pain. you had to remove it and the hose every bit change. it is nice having the whole brush off when you want it. plus this one seals around everything well so no dust escapes.
having the hose in front is a very large improvement over in back for the amount of air you get.