PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Opinions

Red (Unregistered Guest)
07-07-2005, 01:54 AM
I'd like some opinions from people about the (current) benchtop model. The main reason for me considering that model is size and cost. One aspect I am curious about is how the moving table affects results. Besides the obvious material size limitations, are there other considerations that need to be mentioned.

One thing I just read (after searching for benchtop posts) was a comment of weight of material. I don't plan on putting anything massive on the table, but I hadn't thought about this much before.

Also, is the price bump for the next model larger worth it. This being a loaded question, I will answer the obvious question as to what I intend on using this for. Yes, at some point I "could" see using the larger table. However, nothing I plan on working with anytime soon. For a long time I have considered an even smaller machine that has about 1/4 the size table as the benchtop. The limitation on that was size but more importantly z cut depth.

Thanks for any and all input.

jsfrost
07-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Unless you have smaller projects in a volume that would keep the benchtop busy, I would go for larger if you have the room. Full size can do everything the benchtop can, and considerably more. One sizable project will handle the price bump.
Originally, I chose a larger size because I believed it would be easier to resell if if necessary. My pre-purchase plans included nothing more than 18x24 inches. In reality more than half my income projects are larger.
Jim

mikejohn
07-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Jim
I definately needed nothing more than a benchtop when I was about to purchase
I bought a 96 however
I now have a full table very often
Try and go big.
...........Mike

Red (Unregistered Guest)
07-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback. In all reality, I would prefer the larger size... however the only model that will fit in the workshop is the benchtop. Even that is a little cramped.

There is another option, however it would require carrying the individual parts of the shopbot down a narrow staircase. Anybody know if thats even a possibility. What is the largest single piece prior to assembly? How heavy are the individual parts? The other issue with this location is the likelihood of moving in a year or 2. How difficult is disassembly?

Thanks,
Red

billp
07-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Red,
The longest piece on a 4'by 4'tool would probably be the X rail which is about 6'long. So if you can walk a 6'-2 by 6 down your stairs you should be ok. The Y gantry would roughly be about 24"by 66". I'll have to let someone else give you the weight of these pieces.
You would be bolting the components together for assembly, so you'd then UN bolt them for the move.
And a PLUS for going this route is that when you move you might have room for a full sized machine, so at that point you could buy the full sized rails, everything else is still going to be the same..

scott_smith
07-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Red,

What about a 2’X4’ or 3’X4’ table? Would that help your shop space? You could shorten the X rails on a 48 or Shopbot may sell you custom shorter X rails. Like Bill said, you could get longer rails if needed in the future.

Also check out ShpoBot’s special offer on the PRT models with used motors. If your thinking small, you may not need the speed of an Alpha.

Scott

bleeth
07-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Red: If you can walk a 10' by 6" by 6" piece down the stairs then you can do a 4x8 now. On the other hand you must arrange for 4 x 8 goods to go down and up and be maneuvered (sp?) around in your basement to be able to make use of it. I have a friend who built a wide "mail slot" to handle sheet goods in his basement. My philosophy is like Tim Allen: "More Power"

Dave