PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Support bar on Alpha

waltie
02-02-2005, 11:45 AM
I was giving a demo this morning to a perspective new client, and the plastic support bar broke that holds the dust collection tube and wirung for th "y" gantry broke. This machine has less than 80 hours on it. Is there anything out there you can replace this with, that will last ?

Any info will be appreciated
Thanks

paco
02-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Ouch! That must have hurt the ego!?
My suggestion (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=312&post=17213#POST17213)... Contact me your intersted; I could provide informations for you to build it...

fleinbach
02-02-2005, 05:12 PM
I use E-chain and like it better particularly if you have limited head room.

tim_in_mn
02-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Ray,
I replaced mine with a flexible cable chain. Helped with my clearance problem and allowed overhead computer cabinet. Found it on Ebay for about $30

waltie
02-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Tim,
What size and length do you need for a Alph ?
I like the look
How does it hold the dust collection hose ?

fleinbach
02-03-2005, 07:17 AM
This is how I did it to work under my steps

I purchased it direct from Ingus who makes it. cost new $79.00 Luckely in my case there was enough head room at an angle to the stairs to just hang my vacuum hose.

johnnie53
02-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Frank, Do you have a link for Ingus? My Plastic support bar is now broke in two places, unloading it a helper pushed down on it to get it out of the trailer and snap. The Cable Chain would be a good uprgradable part for Shopbot to stock inhouse. I thought I had a tight spot for my Shopbot,great setup.

dingwall
02-03-2005, 09:49 AM
As a temporary fix - or permanent YMMV, you can bolt a strap hinge on the broken end. Now that you have two broken ends, it would still likely work, but be pretty floppy.

Igus energy chain is pretty sexy though.

dirk
02-03-2005, 10:48 AM
I went to Home Depot and bought a vinyl extrusion for putting Screen on porches. It comes 4" wide and I snapped the male and female portions together. It was very rigid yet flexable, worked great

ron brown
02-03-2005, 10:55 AM
John,

http://www.igus.com/ is the Igus website. A search on e-bay for "Cable carrier" will find some there.

Be sure and calculate how much you need. If I remember correctly it took about 42" of the material to do a 60" travel. If you buy on e-bay the "ends" are nice to have but you can butcher a link on each end to achieve a similar result.

Ron

tim_in_mn
02-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Ray

My strip was 5' long, but it can be shorter, as you can run just cable from the middle to the backside of the table as shown in Frank Leinback's Picture. I cut 1x1x8" pcs of hardwood and with a 1/2" deep crosscut groove to fit the bottom of the Y channel and used Gorilla glue to hold the wood supports in place, no drilling.

I did not run my vacuum line in the channel but suspended it from above. The shorter the vacuum hose, the more suction. You could lay your vacuum hose on the cable and use plastic ties to hold it on the inside of the loop.

I am upgrading to PRTalpha and will have a route for the vacuum hose similar to Franks.

waltie
02-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks to everyone for their help

Ray