PDA

View Full Version : Hot stepper motors??

myxpykalix
06-10-2007, 12:24 AM
I know recently there was a long thread that discussed this and I realize they operate at a certain tempreture however this might be a bit different.

Yesterday i left the shop and forgot to turn the control box off. When i went in today after not moving the machine for at least 24 hours the stepper motors were extremely warm. After running the machine for a while the motors actually felt cooler. Should the steppers be warm at all after not even being run?

steve4460
06-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Hii Jack

These motors stay energized to keep the bot in the position that you stop it ,otherwhise you could push them around . and it woulde lose positon. I added a light to my control box so that I can see it when I turn the lights of and leave the shop .
bot on

richards
06-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Jack,
Oriental Motor stepper motors have a Class B insulation rating that allows an 80 degree C. temperature rise. So, if you can stand to touch the motor, it is not too hot. If auto current reduction is turned on or off, a stepper motor draws maximum current at standstill, otherwise it draws 30 to 50% of full current at standstill.