PDA

View Full Version : Standard or alpha?

mikeb
01-02-2010, 02:10 PM
What is the difference between the two systems. Do the shops that started with standard, then moved to an alpha regret not purchasing the alpha from the get go.From what I've read,speed is the main difference. If so , how much faster.I would like to use the experience of you owners [before] making a purchasing decision.

thanks Mike

steve4460
01-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Go PRS Alpha 5'x 8'You will love it .

rb99
01-02-2010, 02:47 PM
One difference is the Alpha has the abiliy to keep track of the steps and make corrections if it looses some. I have read that it is not a full feedback system.

The motors and controllers are faster as well.

RIB

navigator7
01-02-2010, 02:49 PM
What causes the loss of steps?

michael_schwartz
01-02-2010, 02:59 PM
I am a new owner of a PrsStandard 48x96.

The Standard uses steppers which can be and are very accurate as long as you don't push there limits too hard.

The Alpha is slightly more accurate and capable of greater accuracy at faster cut speeds.

To sum things up the alpha basically can 2x as fast or more than a standard.

If your on a budget a standard is a great deal, I think I spent under 14k with accessories which is for a 4x8 machine.

By replacing the control box and motors you can upgrade a PRS Standard to an Alpha at a later date They both use the same frame and gantry.

Loss of steps is usually caused by trying to cut too fast.

Anyway off to check on the progress of the cut file I have running.

navigator7
01-02-2010, 03:19 PM
What indications do you get when losing steps?
A blurred carving?
How can you tell when you are pushing a tool too hard?

dubliner
01-02-2010, 03:39 PM
You machine will lose it place and then continue it journey, as if it hadn't , so yes, a blurred carving, a deeper carving, or an offset carving. Basically its usually toast.

wberminio
01-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I have a PRS Standard
I cut mainly cabinet parts,but am doing more 3d carvings.
A first, I was cutting too fast and losing steps-
( you can tell-parts are off-too small/holes in wrong places.)
I have learned to slow down my cut and jog speeds-3.5"/sec and 4.5"/sec. No more problems.
I get great edge quality and accurate cuts.

If I had to do it again- I would go with an Alpha
for speed and I may upgrade in the future when and if this economy turns around

I am very happy with my Standard machine.
I wouldn't be here without it.

Erminio

michael_schwartz
01-02-2010, 05:40 PM
A standard will probably cut anything an alpha can. A standard will also make you money, and do first rate work. The money saved on a standard can be used to buy additional software.

If you have the budget and need an Alpha is clearly the best choice, but don't be afraid to compromise with a standard if it means getting a CNC router in your workshop.

I wish at times I had spent more on an alpha but I also do have more cash in the bank, to spend on additional software, tooling, and such.

When my machine starts making me money In order I will add a spindle, then likely upgrade it to an alpha and add an air drill, and use my current controler and motors to build a second smaller machine.

I am glad I have my standard. Of course in life there is always something, bigger, stronger, and faster that is to be desired.

wberminio
01-02-2010, 05:47 PM
My sentiments exactly,Micheal

navigator7
01-02-2010, 05:54 PM
I don't have an established customer base calling me for parts and pieces.
Yet, I do have an established customer base from other businesses I was once in. I know what items will be of use for them.
I've done start ups before. Knocking on doors, making phone calls, marketing, samples, exploring ideas are way more important.
If I could afford it, I'd get Alpha Marketing! ;-)

There is simply no way I'll be able to fill each and every day with production. Where does the XYZ speed matter when there will be no parts to machine??

I think a standard will be the tool I need. I'll let its success buy the upgrade.

jerry_stanek
01-02-2010, 06:35 PM
When I was looking for a used shopbot I called Diane at Shopbot and she said that if you bought the standard and then upgrded it to the Alpha it was about $500 more than just buying the Alpha first. I bought a Standard and still have the option to upgrade but at this time I see no 4.5 IPS with no problems and I surface my table at 7 IPS I tried at 8 and most of the time it will be fine but every now and then it will miss some steps.

wberminio
01-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Jerry
I believe that is 5,000.00 more

bill_lumley
01-02-2010, 08:06 PM
I have had a standard for a few years and have been very happy but the move to better software really made it sing . As a cabinet maker the Link was what I could afford and it's value exceeeds it's price by a wide margin . I am upgrading soon to an Alpha because I would like to go a bit faster and with the additioanl reliability of an Alpha where I if I loose steps I don't loose an entire sheet of parts . But until I do I will try surfacing faster as Jerry mentions , afterall when surfacing who cares if you loose steps ...
Thanks for the idea Jerry . Mike you can't go wrong either way but the savings of $5500 (upgrade price) you can put to use in oither places as folks have mentioned already .

Good Luck Bill

jerry_stanek
01-02-2010, 09:11 PM
the difference between an Alpha and a Standard is about $5000 new but nto upgrade the standard to an Alpha is $5500 after you buy the Standard then I would so the upgrade would only be $500 more than the Alpha

dlcw
01-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I started out with a Standard Buddy 32 and did some 3D carving and some louvered doors with it. It was ok. The PC router noise was almost intolerable. I wore ear plugs inside of headphones and I still couldn't think. In June 2009 I sold the Buddy and got a 5x8 PRSAlpha with 2.2hp spindle and air drill. Because of this upgrade of machines I'm getting more demand for cabinet parts and larger cutting/carving jobs (fireplace mantels) that would not fit on the Buddy.

At first I was discouraged with the Alpha. There were hardware problems and software problems. Over time with help, mainly from Gary Campbell, I was able to get the machine purring along beautifully. I recently completed a project that had more then 75 cabinets (700+ individual parts). All parts were cut out of 120+ sheets of plywood in about 3 days. I was cutting 1/2" and 3/4" material at 6-8ips. I don't want to get into a Standard versus Alpha debate, but some folks have told me I probably couldn't have cut at that speed with a Standard. Don't know because I don't own one.

Anyway, I am pleased with the capabilities of this machine and am glad I went with the little bit higher-end machine to start with. Yes, I could have used the money in my pocket at the beginning, when first getting everything setup, but now I'm not afraid to take just about any job, big or small, that comes my way.

I'm getting ready to work with a local office furniture company that needs me to cut hundreds of sheets of laminate and melamine a month. I know the Alpha will handle this. Just keep it maintained and greased and it won't complain.

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

Gary Campbell
01-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Mike...
Here is another Thread with same title and more detailed explanation. http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/45528.html
Gary

michael_schwartz
01-03-2010, 04:28 AM
I think that this can all be summed up with the following.

The Alpha is obviously better than a Standard and is the obvious choice if it happens to be the economical decision. However there is nothing bad about a standard if that happens to fit into your budget.

The Standard is the entire reason why I own a 4x8 foot CNC router. I was initially in the market for a smaller 2x4-4x4 machine looking to spend as little as possible. Seeing how the price difference between the equipment I was looking at and a 4X8 PRS was only a few grand I decided to go for it.

I finally took the advice of the many who pushed for a 4x8 machine, and I am glad I did. Seeing the pricing for the standard is what finally pushed me to re think every thing after I had made up my mind to get a small machine. Looking back I don't think one experienced person that I asked recommended anything but a 4x8 cut area as a minimum if it were a possibility.

I plan to upgrade to an Alpha when it seems economical and I can prove to myself that It would be a sound business decision to do so.

adrianm
01-03-2010, 05:05 AM
I think the choices that should come before standard or alpha is size and then router/spindle.

I was originally looking at a 4x4 standard with router and eventually got an 8x4 Alpha with a spindle.

I'm glad I did but I expect it's the size and spindle that I'm noticing more than it being an Alpha.