PDA

View Full Version : Scanning services and IMac computer

mgilley
08-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Can any one help me with these.
First I would like a scan of a hand gun for use in trophy. Can anyone recommend a sorce for this service? I would like a turnaround time and a quote. It would be a scan (3D model) of a particular model and brand.

Also has anyone had any experience with the iMAC Apple computer. I have loaded Microsoft Windows, Rhino and Visual Mill on it and seems to work fine and fast. In Rhino the only thing I noticed so far was when you snap to a point the cusor gets fuzzy and you can't see the point.

Thanks,
Mike

tomj
08-15-2006, 11:56 AM
depending on how accurate you want the gun to look and what model of gun?...have you looked on www.turbosquid.com (http://www.turbosquid.com) ? I beleive that they have some models of hand guns on there. Might be worth a look...

Tom

mgilley
08-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Tom,
I looked at turbosquid and bought one of the models. The picture looked good but the model didn't look any thing like the picture.
Thanks,
Mike

hippo
08-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Mike,

This might help, I have the complete set from Deespona. Maybe one of those will help? http://www.deespona.com/3denciclopedia/categoria_weapons.html

If you click on the details, you can see how much detail is really in the model, and how much was just "painted on"

-Dan

P.S. You much have one of those intel iMacs, I'm not familiar, but I do use macs all the time. So, any regular questions I might be able to help.

stevem
08-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi Dan,

Have you compared any of the pistol model dimentions to the real thing? I would be interested in those models also.

Steve

mgilley
08-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Dan,
The colt M1994 A1 is the one I'm instrested in. The model detail is outstanding. I guess I ordered the wrong one, but there was no preview. This is great.
Thanks,
Mike

mossie_jim
08-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Hi Mike,

I have an Intel iMac. Works great! I do my CAD work with Vectorworks and export as a .dxf. Then just drag and drop the .dxf file into my Windows documents file and then import into Shopbot. My iMac is actually runs Windows faster and more stable than my Dell.

Cheers,
Jim

mgilley
08-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Jim,
I take that Vectorworks is an Apple program. You work in Mac and file it in Windows, right? I like the Mac so much I wish they would write the Shopbot software in it.
Mike

hippo
08-21-2006, 07:28 PM
I haven't compared any of the models to reality except the aircraft (my area of expertise) they're reasonably accurate.
The models are in 3DMax format, so you'll need that to open them up.

I don't think I should post them on here, but I can email one or two out, contact me separately.

-Dan

mossie_jim
08-25-2006, 11:49 AM
HI Mike,

Apologies for the slow reply.
Correct, Vectorworks is a Mac program in my case. It is also available for the PC. There are many Mac CAD packages out there that will work fine. DWG/DXF export is the criteria I use.
The only problem I ran into was having open vectors that did not import. It turned out my "snap to" setting were .01" and not .0001". Using the latter fixed that problem.

Cheers,
Jim