PDA

View Full Version : X1/X2 Wires - What occurs when swapped?

kivimagi
06-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Title says it all. I'm curious what happens when the wires get swapped.

Regards,

Brady Watson
06-27-2004, 11:11 PM
The X-car goes in the opposite direction in relation to +X and -X values.

Normally, The X1 (closest to logical 0,0) runs counter-clockwise and X2 runs clockwise when looking at the back of the gear case (where label is).

If this is happening, chances are all you need to do is swap X1 for X2 and vice versa.

-Brady

kivimagi
06-28-2004, 07:56 AM
Brady,

So that moves the origin to the 96,0 position?

Regards

gerald_d
06-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Ryan, it depends on what you mean by "origin"...

Let's say you want to use your original .sbp files. Then you need to zero your x at the "old" z=96 position, and everything will cut to the left of that. But it will be a mirror image - text will run backwards etc. (The Hebrews might like this!)

Suggest you start with something small, in the middle of the table, to see what happens.

frank
06-28-2004, 09:07 AM
Ryan,

I depends on how you are swapping the cables. If you are swapping the entire cables between X1 and X2, then your direction will change. If you are swapping where you plug them into the control box then nothing will change. The same signal comes out of both X1 and X2. The black and green wires are swapped on X2 to get the direction change for that motor.

kivimagi
06-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks. I'll double check everything. When I use the keypad things move in the direction I would suspect, right arrow moves the gantry away from the 0,0, and left arrow moves it back. The Y-axis moved way from the origin with up arrow, and back with the down arrow.

I had trouble when I began to surface the table, things were not working well with the CR command. I probably executed the CR command wrong.

Regards

Brady Watson
06-28-2004, 10:11 AM
Yes Ryan,
There is no problem with your wiring...The CR command works opposite of what you would expect. I had the same issue the very 1st time I ran my Bot...and it suprised me even though I thought I understood the CR command.

When I resurface my table, I just go into PartWizard and make my material the same size as the spoilboard. I then make a rectangle the same size, transform it so it is centered on the material and do an Offset Area Clearance with an appropriate bit.

-Brady

daniel
06-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Hey Ryan, in case you haven't got it worked out yet, The problem is definitly your CR command. You need to change the setting for which corner the rectangle starts at. I believe the corners are numbered 1 through 4, With 1 starting at the upper left and proceeding clockwise. Hope that helps!

bill.young
06-28-2004, 04:54 PM
Hey Ryan,

Don't know if this will help but there's an article about flattening your table top using the CR command at http://www.shopbottools.com/flattenttop.htm

It uses the DOS software for the example but the concept and settings are the same if you're using the Windows software.

Good luck,
Bill

kivimagi
06-28-2004, 09:01 PM
I verified that I was using the CR command wrong. Entered the starting corner wrong as Daniel mentioned. So much to learn!!

Thanks for your help, I'm going to enjoy getting to know everyone over the next few months.

Mayo
06-29-2004, 01:00 AM
Gerald, you said, zero your x at the "old" z=96 position ?
Maybe I'm confused but I'd like to see the bits for a 96" z axis!

Even though people who read Hebrew do read it from right to left, my guess is they would not like trying to read backwards, mirrored english text.

In the past, I have had to read backwards mirrored text occasionally when proofreading silk screens before printing with them. An example of when this was necessary was when screen printing lettering on the inside surface of a store window, to be readable from the outside.

About the only thing that I liked about the proofreading was there were times when I noticed certain words in all upper case read the same backwards or normally and on one occasion I noticed a word or two which also read correctly backwards and upside-down.

It wasn't the fumes, really.

gerald_d
06-29-2004, 01:56 AM
Hi Mayo, we work in millimeters - z=96 is quite common
Sorry Ryan, if you took my mistake as Gospel, according to the Hebrews.......

(During my 2 years compulsory military service in the Navy (1979 & 1980), I served as the engineer of a 13 000 HorsePower missile boat built in Israel. Some of the documentation was bound in the Hebrew way, ie start at the "back" and page to the left. Why I mentioned the ship engineer bit, is because us engine control room staff used to write messages to the stokers on the control room window with a "whiteboard marker" pen. We wanted the stokers, who were reading the mirror image, to read as easily as possible and not confuse their 13 000 horses. So we wrote backwards from the control room side.)