PDA

View Full Version : End Mills vs Router Bits vs Amana

bakerkr
10-24-2005, 05:42 AM
Hi Everyone! Got two questions here. First, setup my table yesterday.. it's 1/16 out of square, do I need to continue to tweaks this?

Second - I'll be using my Shopbot to build cabinets, beds, other small projects, so which is best? End Mills, Router Bits or Amana has router bits where you can just replace the blade part, not the entire bit.

Thanks,
Kevin

ron brown
10-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Kevin,

A real war can be started here. I prefer using the "Her-Saf" indexable, replacable bits where I can, routerbits are my second choice and metal-milling end-mills when I can't find a better choice.

Materials have different properties and some work better at different cutting and relief angles. It is not an art, it is a science. And, as one can straighten a car fender with a claw hammer, ball-peen or body hammer it is usually best and easiest to use the tool suited to the job.

Ron

dingwall
10-24-2005, 11:10 AM
+1 for what Ron said.

To answer your first question. 1/16" sounds like a lot. When you flip your parts, they'll be out by 1/8" or more.

mikejohn
10-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Kevin, do you mean you are out 1/16" (1.5mm) over the diagonals of the table?
This isnt a lot in my opinion.
Flipping a piece 18" long will only put you out about 1/50" (0.5mm) Most furniture can live with this.
.............Mike