PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum hold-down wiring

wayne_webb
02-25-2008, 01:35 PM
This shopbot, bought used, came with a brand new, never used, hold down system. But there were no wiring diagrams or any documantation for that matter, with the components:

1. Effepizeta(EPZ) regen blower Type SCL-V6 5 HP
2. Autogen Model CD14 electronic phase convertor
3. Magnetic starter
4. Furnas ESP 100 solid state overload relay

I have emailed EPZ and Autogen and they sent over wiring diagrams of their units and am now sending one to Furnas.
But how do I connect all this together?
I wired my home, my store, and shop all the way from the weather heads to the last recptacle, but have never worked with 3 phase before.
Thanks for helping

thewoodcrafter
02-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Do you have 3 phase power available?

wayne_webb
02-25-2008, 02:44 PM
*correction
The Furnas ESP100 box is a magnetic starter with an overload relay. Cat.No.14ESF32BA http://www.relectric.com/Store/Motor-Control/14ESF32BA

The other box says "Taian Electric D.O.L. Magnetic Starter". It has a green and a red button.

wayne_webb
02-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Roger,
No
All single phase

thewoodcrafter
02-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Well it looks like you have a start/stop switch their also.
Everything is very logical.
You need the wiring diagram on the phase converter but I think you should also have a fused disconnect in front of it.
You need single phase 230V into the converter. I would also bring in a ground. This would come out of the fused disconnect into the converter then into the mag starter, out of the mag starter to the blower. 5HP 3 phase pulls about 15 AMPS that is 12ga. Run it from the converter to the starter then to the blower. Feeding the disconnect and converter will be about twice that load 30AMPS run at least 10ga for that.
The start/stop buttons control the coil in the mag starter. Should have a diagram inside the cover. run 12 ga for that. I don't remember how they wire. I always follow the diagram. It basically powers the coil in the mag through a holding contact in the mag. The On button powers the coil through the holding contact and the OFF button breaks the power and the coil drops out.

Hope this helps some. Good luck.

wayne_webb
02-25-2008, 03:40 PM
So the "D.O.L Magnetic Starter" is really a switch?

thewoodcrafter
02-25-2008, 03:50 PM
A Magnetic starter is a big relay, this one will have a thermal section in it (Furnas ESP 100 solid state overload relay) that trips and opens the circuit to the coil shutting of the blower.
Can you post some pictures of these items out of the box with the covers off?

wayne_webb
02-25-2008, 04:19 PM
The Autogen phase convertor enclosure (top) is riveted shut. Do i need to open it? There are only three lugs in the box on top. I would think there would need to be three lugs coming out??? The Furnas Mag starter is left, Taian mag starter on the right.

wayne_webb
02-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Here are the lugs on the Autogen phase convertor.
Only three plus a ground, the box is riveted shut and there are no knockouts on the enclosure.

harold_weber
02-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Wayne, just Google "static phase converter" and you will find out all you want to know. The Phase-a-Matic has a wiring diagram posted there, and yes, there only need to be three terminals. Most of my buddies with garage machine shops (lathes, mills, grinders, etc. all use 3 phase power too) do not care for static phase converters and they use rotary phase converters they built themselves.

wayne_webb
02-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks Harold!

thewoodcrafter
02-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Wayne,
Don't open the converter.
get a wiring diagram. Looks like L1 and L2 may be the single phase going in and L1, L2 and L3 are the 3 phase going out. But you need the diagram to be sure.
Looks like you have 2 magnetic starters. I would get a single phase fused disconnect and wire it before the converter. Then you only need 1 mag starter between the converter and the blower. That one needs to be 3 phase. Can't tell from here but the Furnas may be 3 phase. You will need a standard light switch to turn on the mag starter. 2 wirers, easy. The inside cover of the Furnas should have a diagram. It gets wired - hot wire off L1 (incoming) on the mag to the light switch, other side of switch goes back to the mag. Wire it through the thermal section to one side of the mag's coil. The other side is most likely wired already to L2. The wire from the thermal section to the coil is most likely pre-wired also.

harold_weber
02-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Wayne, I received a pre-wired magnetic contactor with electronic overload on my single phase air compressor. The red and blue wires were installed by the factory, and the instructions said to connect 220volt power to L1 and L2. I asked the factory what the purpose of the blue wire was, and they said you wanted to have current running through all 3 legs of the overload for it to function properly. That would have been something I would have missed if I wired it myself. Its things like this that prompts ShopBot to tell you to have a qualified electrician do the wiring for you.

bill.young
02-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi Wayne,

Just a quick personal comment. Even though I know some of the guys giving advice and know that they know what they're talking about, it's always dicey to follow advice on the internet for something that has the potential to kill you! They could be giving you the best advice possible, but without being there and seeing exactly what your setup is, there's always the possibility of something going horribly wrong, and at best damaging the equipment, and at worst damaging you.

Harold sums it up well... "Its things like this that prompts ShopBot to tell you to have a qualified electrician do the wiring for you."

Bill

wayne_webb
02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
double post

wayne_webb
02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Roger,
Thanks for the detailed information. I should have enough info to get me started now. I figured the phase convertor box must have been sealed for a reason. Just couldn't underdstand why the terminals were so few.

Thanks for the info and diagram, Harold.
I'll be careful, Bill.