PDA

View Full Version : Creating and Cutting in MM

bakerkr
01-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi Everyone!

I've always used inches when creating and cutting files, but I need to create a file (in VCarve Pro) in MM. Once I do this and use the mm post processor, do I need to do anything at the bot to cut this file?

Thanks,
Kevin

Gary Campbell
01-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Kevin...
I have a few files that had metric dimensions. Even tho these were done in Part Wiz, VCPro is a better program and I am sure this will work.
I start a new file and input material size, thickness in INCHES.
I save the file and then enter any INCH objects, including some lines I need for reference.
I then set the material to MM.
I enter all obects that use metric dimensions.
I reset the material to INCHES.
I toolpath as normal using inch PP.
I am sure that the more knowledgeable have a more efficiant way for my workaround, but this is how I have done it.
Gary

bakerkr
01-13-2008, 05:08 AM
Gary -

Thanks for the post, but you totally just lost me. I guess my question could be, if I created a file in MM generated the code using the MM post processor, at the Bot when I run the file and because it was generated in MM, do I need to do anything with the ShopBot Control software.

Kevin

myxpykalix
01-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Kevin,
It would seem to me it would be easier to go back to PW and redo the file and save it in inches. It seems to me that your table is set up inches and could not run the file properly unless you change your units of measurements in the control software. How you do that i don't know but i'm sure it can be done. I just think you might be asking for trouble as I think you have to input different values for your steppers and stuff if you change it to mm. I don't think it is as simple as changing the designation on the X,Y,Z readouts. But i'm just guessing here, one of the pro's will give you the right answer.

rhfurniture
01-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Probably just put (vcp might do it for you)
VD,1
at the start of the file to change shopbot to reading mm - it just changes the unit values and all limits, speeds, ramps settings etc to suit millimeters. You can then put VD,0 at the end of the file to change shopbot back to inches. You can do the same at the shopbot console with VD. But I should look at the file in the editor and aircut first to check.

bakerkr
01-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Jack / Ralph -

Thanks for the post, I'll give a shot today and let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the help.

Kevin

hespj
01-13-2008, 01:04 PM
You can change the ShopBot to and from mm here:

John

Brian Moran
01-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Kevin,

As an alternative, you can just do the design in mm and output the job using the inch post-processor as normal. VCarve Pro will convert the units from mm to inches for the inch post automatically.

Brian

Gary Campbell
01-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Kevin..
I KNEW there was an easier way! Thanks again to the Vectric Crew!
Gary

bakerkr
01-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Brain - Thanks for the help, this is the perfect solution.

Gary - Yeah, the knowledge on this forum is simply awesome.

Thanks all,
Kevin