PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY finished and installed!

harryball
05-15-2007, 04:40 PM
These are nothing spectacular but these were cut and painted for close viewing. The logo is carved into the top of a window frame and the art work will be seen from about 3 feet. My first attempts were awful. These turned out much better. I used Oracal 810 as a mask after painting the primary color on the MDF substrate. It still had some issues with the small letters. The most successful bit was a 120 degree vbit. All the other bits just made a mess of the mask. After cutting I had to touch up the mask with tape and a knife on the small letters. Then I painted, removed the mask and used a 2x visor and a small artist brush to clean up the edges. Way too much work for what I got paid.

The tall letters are about 2" and the small letters are about 1/2" to 5/8" the "TM" was the worst.

From about 10 feet they always looked good, from 5 feet my previous attempts began to show problems. These actually look decent at less than the required 3 feet. I won't be doing something like this again soon.

Let me summarize the pitfalls so some of you may avoid them or be prepared to quote for them...

1) The client had very specific color requirements. Not close but exact, this limited paint type choices.

2) The client provided the paint for the window frame. It had to match the other office trim. Buy your own paint.

3) The work is front and center of a show window. No chance of hiding any imperfections with distance. In reality they could be seen as close as 18" or less.

4) Carving size was small, very small. If you have letters less than 2" tall... be prepared for more work.

5) Paint mask... I don't think anything really works. The oracal 810 did well on the large letters but not so good on the small.

6) Inexperience... mine specifically but I'm sure you have your share as well :-) This board was an invaluable resource. To everyone that has ever helped me... THANK YOU.

Robert

myxpykalix
05-15-2007, 06:52 PM
I remember seeing this when you were having smudge problems, this looks great. You obviously worked out your problem. Good job.

butch
05-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Thanks Robert - good job. I like the detailed progression.

Butch

hol
05-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Good job!

fleinbach
05-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Keep up the good work Robert

harryball
05-29-2007, 05:17 PM
I went by the customer today, here is a shot of one of the window frames installed. The glass is foggy until I use the finger print reader you see on the wall. The lights slowly come up inside the data room and then the glass switches clear. There are two windows into the data center. I designed and built out the room but I can't show photos of the inside for privacy reasons. I was a Network Engineer / Internet Geek in a previous life. :-)

The frames really dress up the outsides of the windows as opposed to a bland painted window frame.

Robert