PDA

View Full Version : Attaching spoil board to plenum

jbuell
03-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Does a Trupan spoil board need to be fixed (screwed or glued )to the plenum on a vacuum hold down?

Also curious on methods for creating a versatile vac hold down that can cut sheets as well as use pucks for 4/4 6'-8' long hardwood boards. Can pucks be used on the Trupan as long as it has a good seal on the plenum?

In the midsts of planning my first vacuum table and need to get my head around how this can be accomplished.

knight_toolworks
03-24-2008, 12:12 AM
pucks won't stick mdf at all. you can put a sheet of soemthign thats smooth down use your vac system to hold it and stick the pucks to that. or just screw the pucks down thats what I did.

brucehiggins
03-24-2008, 12:52 AM
I put a piece of pre-finished 1/2 birch ply on top of the trupan and use a few spots of hot glue (as someone else suggested) for attaching small pieces of hardwood. It is fast and works very well. I leave onion skin and keep a router table set up with a flush trim bit. Gives me peace of mind knowing the piece won't move.

tim_m
03-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Check out the BradyVac at http://www.shopbottools.com/BradysTricks.htm
I've been using these for everything. You can make them in any size you want. You can get rid of the pucks and make a vac table just for doing the 4/4 boards

Brady Watson
03-24-2008, 04:08 PM
I generally don't glue mine down because I switch out 1/4" thick 'masks' that are like the BradyVac II. You can tack the bleeder to the plenum with a little bit of silicone and that will hold it in place. Just be sure to put a dab in the center of the plenum if you put some on the outside or vacuum will cause the bleeder to have a dip in the center of it.

-B

jbuell
03-24-2008, 09:43 PM
I like the silicone idea.

Tim-
If I use the BradyVac to hold down 4/4 boards I presume I would need to place a non porous broad over the plenum with holes cut out for the Fein vacuum ports? This would allow the BradyVac a surface to grab? Am I thinking along the proper lines here?

ljdm
03-24-2008, 10:05 PM
If you place any type of girl over the plenum, be very careful! ( non porous broad ?)

jbuell
03-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Lou has the good fortune of a nice punch line. Really wishing I was within that 30 minute edit window before this really spins out of control. Making a spelling error like this in a forum that is 99.9% male has the potential to flower with school boy giddiness.
correction: non porous board

tim_m
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
I would just make a vac table the size of your smallest board. I've made them down to 4"x12" and they work great. Today I'm carving 1 3/4" curly maple stool tops on one that is 12"dia. Put thin gasket tape on both sides of your table for a good seal.

ljdm
03-25-2008, 09:06 AM
I REALLY tried hard to resist the temptation to give that replay, but............
Without that little bit of schoolboy-ness every now and then, I'd have to act my age all the time. You act old, you is old. I don't wanna grow up, I'm a toys are....never mind, you get my drift. Back to reality.