PDA

View Full Version : Dino Font

chiloquinruss
09-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Ok I know this has been rehashed many times here and I've done the search here and googled but I can't find a spot to donwload the dino font. I have a couple of grandkids that really want grandpa to do a dino. Thanks for your assistance.
Russ

andyb
09-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Search on CNCzone.com. There are several out there to download. The topic has it's own thread.

Andy B.

chiloquinruss
09-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks Andy, but I've been der' and done dat'!
There are lot's of references to the mystic Dino Font but there are no links and no files that I could find either here, there, or on Google.

The font in question creates the vector file to make the 3d dinosaurs as shown on this site. The dino fonts found on google are cartoon or silhouettes of dinos.

If someone has it please email me and I will make arrangements to acquire it from them. Thanks in advance. Russ

sam_harbold
09-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Is this what your looking for?

Dino Font.zip (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/Dino_Font-34400.zip) (35.8 k)

chiloquinruss
09-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Sam, thanks that is exactly what I was looking for! Russ

andyb
09-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Russ,
Try this thread. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5276

Andy B.

porscheman
09-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Those dinos look cool - I'd like to cut one for my nephew's upcoming birthday. I downloaded the font and loaded the T-rex into Partworks and toolpathed it with a 1/4" diameter bit and it looks like it should turn out fine from the preview (assuming I'm cutting 1/4" thick material so the slot width will turn out ok).

My question for those who may have cut these out before is how do you figure out the assembly order? Are there any high resolution photos of assembled dinos that I could use to put them together and then label the parts? Or were any labeled assembly diagrams created for these dino fonts?

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

chiloquinruss
09-21-2008, 02:29 PM
John - I'm in the same postiton as you but I have the feeling that what you and I are looking at is why these things are called 'Puzzles'!
Russ

porscheman
09-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I agree Russ - I'm wondering who misplaced the "puzzle box" that had the picture on the front cover so I know how my puzzle is supposed to turn out.... :-)

I guess this will be a learning exercise for my young nephew - maybe he'll create a new species of dinosaur when he puts the T-rex together.

John

cnc_works
09-21-2008, 05:58 PM
I know Harbor Freight has these models in miniature from time to time. Probably could get some hints by looking at the boxes there.

I scaled the drawing to the slots by measuring the thickness of my material and adding .01" for clearance when using MDF. Made for a perfect friction fit.

Donn

ron_varela
09-24-2008, 03:01 PM
I made the dino fonts a few years back,email me for the directions.

Ron

magic
09-24-2008, 05:07 PM
I am not fully understanding. I downloaded the file but can't grasp hot to load the graphic into partworks or artcam... and why is it a font?

ron_varela
09-24-2008, 06:31 PM

magic
09-24-2008, 07:32 PM
I'll try it

magic
09-24-2008, 08:05 PM
O'K' I don't have the slightest idea how that worked but it went. So how do you invent your own font?... Beyond my abilities. I'm going back to my 486 and staying there for a while.

gene
09-26-2008, 02:07 AM
R & G
What did you do with a 24' dino ? Do you have any photos? I would like to do one and wrap it in a wire mesh and coat it with a stucko type mix and paint it. Dont ask why 'cause i aint sure of the answer. I think i am so tired building boxes i just want something with another shape. Thanks to everyone who posted on this link . I will try this also. Please post photos..

ron_varela
09-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Gene a friend of mine near San Marcos Texas lives by a small airport and he thought it would be funny to put the 24 foot t-rex by the tree there, so when the small planes would land they would only get a few seconds to see it.
There was a lot of talk about it from the people that worked at the airport, funny thing was my friend Danny would go back out and lay it on the ground and put it back up a few weeks later and take it down again, he calls it like a Bigfoot sighting.
If I every go back to San Marcos I will take some picture from the ground and from the air, if I remember he painted it light and dark gray to blend into the shadow of the tree, so when you first see it you loose sight of it due to the tree.

Ron

gene
09-26-2008, 08:05 PM
I am glad someone else has the same warped sence of humor i have . Thats the same thing i was thinking of. Thats too funny...

myxpykalix
09-26-2008, 09:01 PM
There are 6 non dino 3d cutouts over in the yahoo group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SHOPBOT/files/Fun%20stuff/

you may have to join first

harryball
09-26-2008, 11:08 PM
I've tried a few times to join the group on 2 different PCs... I always end up on a page with buttons that don't work. Can those files be posted here?

/RB

gene
09-27-2008, 01:32 AM
I have tryed to get the files to open in partwizzard and v carve with no success . What can i be doing wrong? CONFUSED

myxpykalix
09-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Harry,
We are VERY SELECTIVE about the TYPE of person we ALLOW to join our EXCLUSIVE MEMBERSHIP, maybe there's a good reason YOU have been turned down....(just kidding!)
I don't monitor it much from the lack of participation (i'm only a mod) so no one probably reacted to the membership request.

I have an email headed your way with the files buddy...

coach
09-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I also filled out to join shopbot on yahoo.
but if you are picky then I definately wouldn't let me in either.

myxpykalix
09-27-2008, 04:31 PM
send another request and i'll see it gets done.

coach
09-27-2008, 06:16 PM
just went back to yahoo and I'm in
Thanks Jack

David

nat_wheatley
02-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Any tips for cutting one of these from 1/4" plywood in PW(cut speed, #of passes, tabs (size/how many?)? I do have vacuum, though I'm not sure it matters.

I gave it a quick go this morning, and lost the first 2 pieces to the dust collector...

Thanks