PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out molding cutter knife proviles I could use some advice.

knight_toolworks
05-04-2007, 02:44 AM
I have seen them use a little cnc router to cut out a template to grind a knife too. They use really small bits about .04 or so. But I wonder if a 60 v would work. It would give crisp corners inside and out. Not sure if a tapered edge would be a problem though.
Bur if I go with using one of the small bits cutting acrylic what’s the settings I need for it?

cnc_works
05-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I've cut quite a few of these, Steve. I suspect a beveled edge would not do the job. I used a 1/16" end mill at something like 15 - 20 ipm and 20k on my router in my small cnc because my guy wanted a very smooth edge. In most cases the small radius in corners was not a problem and if it was he could sharpen it easily with a small file. Be sure to use cast acrylic as opposed to extruded.

Good luck!

Donn

knight_toolworks
05-04-2007, 12:12 PM
I think the fellow who wants them is going to be a bit anal about the corners (G) afraid he can't get them to mach if he as to file. (I had suggested it) so I think a ltitle cutter around 3/64 would do the job.though I have broken two so far. one when I dropped it the second when I hit it with a wrench while tightening it in.

andre
05-06-2007, 12:19 PM
I dont own vcarve pro, but couldn't you vcarve thos corners?

gene
05-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Steve .
I think that Don is refering to filing the pattern to sharpen the corners not the cutters themselves, once the template is done then they make the cutters from one template. just dont let him see you file it. Honestly every time i felt the customer was going to be anal i turned the person away , STRESS is one thing i DO NOT need.....

knight_toolworks
05-09-2007, 12:52 AM
I know thats what he meant. the fellow does not want me doing it and he will be reading this. I got a cutter from one of the knife makers and I used it. a .036 endmill. I could only run it at 5ipm or the bit would break. seems pretty slow I run my 3/64 ball nose doing lithophanes at 100ipm.