Many of my project require that I cut to (or through) 8/4 or thicker hardwood along very specific profiles as part of the cut.

Through much "experimentation," I've learned to generally do this reliably, but it is still quite the challenge on some pieces. Preventing heat issues while still allowing for chip clearance and yet avoiding chatter...it is a good thing I like puzzles.

Not helping me, however, are the bits themselves. I understand that the CEL is a function, in part, of the strength of the carbide. I rarely cut more than 0.25" on a pass anyway. But the overall length (OAL) length of the bit is something I fight regularly.

I can find 1/4" CED/1/4" shank spiral downcut bits with an OAL of 3", but I can't for the life of me find an upcut bit of that length. The best so far: 2.5". But that leaves me almost no room to hold the bit in the collet properly and still clear the surrounding materials. As you all well know, collets don't cut wood very well .

Ideally, I'd find 3.5" length bits. That would be heaven.

Any good sources of longer bits out there? All suggestions welcome.

(Also, since I'm posting, has anyone ever tried a 3 or 4 flute spiral bit on wood?)