Thread: Source for Longer Bits

Default Source for Longer Bits

Many of my project require that I cut to (or through) 8/4 or thicker hardwood along very specific profiles as part of the cut.

Through much "experimentation," I've learned to generally do this reliably, but it is still quite the challenge on some pieces. Preventing heat issues while still allowing for chip clearance and yet avoiding chatter...it is a good thing I like puzzles.

Not helping me, however, are the bits themselves. I understand that the CEL is a function, in part, of the strength of the carbide. I rarely cut more than 0.25" on a pass anyway. But the overall length (OAL) length of the bit is something I fight regularly.

I can find 1/4" CED/1/4" shank spiral downcut bits with an OAL of 3", but I can't for the life of me find an upcut bit of that length. The best so far: 2.5". But that leaves me almost no room to hold the bit in the collet properly and still clear the surrounding materials. As you all well know, collets don't cut wood very well .

Ideally, I'd find 3.5" length bits. That would be heaven.

Any good sources of longer bits out there? All suggestions welcome.

(Also, since I'm posting, has anyone ever tried a 3 or 4 flute spiral bit on wood?)

Try cutting tool source they will make you any bit you want. http://www.cuttingtoolsource.com/
    Don Clifton

John,

I use a 1/2" 3-flute down spiral on parts I make for a local plaque company cutting 8/4 alder into shapes. It cuts VERY well and I am very pleased with the results. The only problem is I can't remember where I got them...
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

John - try Vortex tool http://www.vortextool.com/index.cfm?...category_id=13
    They also have 1/4 upcut ballnose - with 4 OAL....as well as making any custom bit you need - too. Yes - I typically use a 3/8 chipbreaker 3-flute for plywood profiling and for roughing passes in 3d carving work.
    Tom

Micro 100 has 4 inch bits

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
    Micro 100 has 4 inch bits
    Yup...and check either OBergBrothers.net or any metalworking tooling reseller or end mill manufacturer. You can get Super Extra Long end mills, which are the same identical grind that 'stupid woodworkers' over pay for when they are renamed 'upcut spiral router bits'.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Micro100, Harvey Tool, SGS and OSG. Lots of good stuff there...and all kinds of 'secret squirrel' bits for those wise enough to need them & find them Quality tooling makes a HUGE difference if you use your machine professionally.

Also, consider using tooling diameters that are uncommon...that is to say, a 'sneaky Pete' 3/16 or 5/16 size tool can make all the difference in the world for a number of reasons...like stiffness, cutting length and reach, with little effect on kerf width and internal radii.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com