Thread: Help in finding bits

Default Help in finding bits

Hello all
    Does anyone know where I might find .250 ball nose, straight cut, and up cut carbide bits w/ 1.5 DOC that are not 6" OAL? I am machining 2 sided 3.25" Mahogany material for guitar necks. I can't use standard bits because they rub on the shank and leave burn marks on the material. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Rick
    Desk Top Max 36x24
    Spindle
    Vacuum Table
    Aspire 12.0

For an upcut, I like the Hartlauer 52-180H. Has a nice length of cut and does a great job in wood (and I cut a lot of aluminum with it too- shallow cuts, ramped.) Search Hartlauer Bits. They are out of the Portland area, iirc.

I have only cut a little mahogany- but did that with this bit ( and several smaller bits for the decoration part of the work)... It performed very well. For necks, I will assume you are being meticulous with your cut speed and feed rates, and chip size- so I will leave that to you to work with and incorporate into your process.

I don't use a straight round nose and rarely use a single flute so I'll leave those to someone else with an opinion.

Best of luck on your work

Monty

Thank you Monty
    I will check out that bit you suggested. I run .25 bits at 2 to 2.5 IPS w/ .200 DOC
    Thanks again
    Desk Top Max 36x24
    Spindle
    Vacuum Table
    Aspire 12.0