Thread: Tool changer

Default Tool changer

Hi guys

Has anyone installed a RapidChange ATC on their Shopbot

Many thanks

Paulo

Apparently they are working on a setup for a Shopbot.

Here is an example of how it works

https://youtu.be/LqX6qronUVs?si=yD_DNj-OzfqgvRRb
    Last edited by benchmark; 02-29-2024 at 08:58 AM.

I'd love to see something better. i have a 6' x 10' bed, and the bar flexes when grabbing a tool in the middle. I've had it drop tools and cause other issues because of the flex so have stopped using it. Since I don't do as much 3D work as I'd like (mostly cutting flat sheets of plastic and aluminum for signs) it hasn't been a great hardship.

Simplicity Boats - Unicorn Strings, Melrose Florida

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark View Post
    Hi guys

Has anyone installed a RapidChange ATC on their Shopbot

Many thanks

Paulo
    I have a 2007 PRS 4x8 Shopbot. I have installed a Rapid Change ATC but I had to change control software to do it. I hope Shopbot does find a way to let people use it on their systems.

The hangup is Shopbot software doesn't allow spindle reversal, which is essential for RC ATC. Maybe they are philosophically opposed to Chinese goods, or contractually committed to Yaskawa, I don't know? The cost difference is hard to grasp. Traditional pneumatic ATCs cost $6 grand thru Shopbot. Which I don't think includes the compressor to handle the pneumatics.

Right now Rapid Change ATC starts at $300 for 6 tool pockets and no extras. $800 gets you 8 pocket with auto dust cover and infrared tool sensor. That is if your system will control speed and rotation. If you use a router you'll need to get a spindle and VFD. I got a Chinese 2.2kw (3hp) & VFD for a little over $300. It's water cooled so I had to research, design and make that. (some are air cooled but louder)

I converted to Centroid Acorn so I could do this, which looked affordable on the surface but is by no means "plug and play" like Shopbot tends to be. It was a heavy lift, even reusing the motors and Gecko drives and power supply.

Centroid & G-code is also like learning a new language after speaking Shopbot for 20 years! Knowing what I know now, I don't think I'd sign up for it again. That's why I'm nudging Shopbot to find a way to accommodate it. I think it really is a game changer. If it spreads as I anticipate, (folks in multiple countries already have them) folks will grow to expect it on an efficient CNC setup. I know it is counterintuitive and everyone (myself included) is sure you can't achieve enough torque to hold the bits with a spindle. Funny thing is, it does work.

I only just got mine installed but the inventor and others have put it through some rigorous testing and it showed well. Jim Neeb Woodworks on Youtube (he's a retired engineer) had 5 reviews of it with a final thumbs up.

I tested my new install and it pickup and dropped 8 bits in 2min. So 15sec per tool change. The touch off adds another 15sec/tool. It touches off every time it picks up a tool and does the math to keep all tool bits at your project z zero. And I don't just intend to apply this with multi tool projects, I'll keep my most used bits in the magazine so even one off projects with a single bit are easier as you just tell the machine which bit to use.
    Anyway, that's my experience so far. Sure hope Shopbot seriously looks into making allowances for this break through gizmo.